PDA

View Full Version : How to un train your brain?

zukinut
11-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I started my training with a 1911 and have been shooting my Glock or Wifes XD for a few years now.

But when I shoot both the G19 and XD I have a tendency to throw the thumb on the slide stop like its the safety of my 1911's. That in turn makes it so it doesn't lock back at the last round.

I'm still up in the air if this really is a bad tendency, because I do still carry the 1911 occasionally?

milkmanjoe
11-06-2014, 07:15 AM
I started my training with a 1911 and have been shooting my Glock or Wifes XD for a few years now.

But when I shoot both the G19 and XD I have a tendency to throw the thumb on the slide stop like its the safety of my 1911's. That in turn makes it so it doesn't lock back at the last round.

I'm still up in the air if this really is a bad tendency, because I do still carry the 1911 occasionally?

If you were involved in a SD situation and your slide didn't lock back you would be inclined to keep pulling the trigger.....shooting nothing. I'm not advocating we should depend on mechanical perfection, but being "between" two sets of skills can get you killed. I holster my 1911, safety gets clicked off, and I am good to go. I will not worry about my thumb if I need to stay alive.

Caleb
11-06-2014, 07:40 AM
The 19 and the XD hold what,.....15 rounds? If you are slide locking on those, you are not in a SD situation anymore......you are in a firefight!

I would focus traing on what you carry the most and remember the fundamentals. I have been carrying only a 1911 lately so, I'm nit sure if I would have the same issue as you. Might have to shoot my plastic guns and find out.....range trip!

Riverpigusmc
11-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Stop carrying plastic pistols. Problem solved. You're welcome

pony up
11-06-2014, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Riverpigusmc;92500]Stop carrying plastic pistols. Problem solved. You're welcome[/QUOTE

OR .. a plastic 1911 with a thumb safety....and a Wilson ignition system and trigger. Expensive but less so and more likely than training my brain..

Become a giant PIA and bug Wilson Combat master dealers until you find one that can score a dropped order or one who has a soon to build Spec Ops 9 order and you can get lucky, too. Well, unless my wife finds out. The plastic WC deal I fell into a little less than 2 months ago is 2 weeks out right now. Rex at Jim's in Baton Rouge scored that for me shortcutting my wait by 2 maybe 3 years. How much do I love Rex? A kiss on the lips is out of the question, however I'm close to a bear hug.:D

Sheepdog
11-06-2014, 03:11 PM
stop carrying plastic pistols. Problem solved. You're welcome

ˆˆˆˆˆthisˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ

BlackKnight
11-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Why I stopped carrying different platforms. Once we went to a standard firearm, my off-duty/out of state firearm became the same platform.

skosh69
11-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Your problem is owning a Glock......funny funny funny

Just kidding, seriously try pointing yours thumbs slightly upward.

I have no problems going from my 1911's to my M&P's.

Rick McC.
12-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Your problem is owning a Glock......funny funny funny

Just kidding, seriously try pointing yours thumbs slightly upward.

I have no problems going from my 1911's to my M&P's.

Same here.

I just do what I need to do with either platform, but I don't rest my thumb on the TS of my 1911's.

brownie
12-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Like Joe, safety off after holstered on the 1911's, same manual of arms as the striker fired friends.