PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 safety or not?

GD2A
11-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Hi Folks,

Just curious about what y'all would think makes more sense - get one with safety because my only other semi's have safeties (1911's) or go without?

Also, I've had Glocks and think they're fine pistols but am willing to try something different, hence the F/S M&P9. Are they as hardcore reliable as a Glock?

This won't be a carry gun - just thought I should own a full size 9mm ;)

Caleb
11-11-2014, 06:57 PM
M&P's are as reliable as Blocks. They are great pistols and I should of never traded away mine. I will get another one day. Oh, your safety is your booger hook. No safety on safe action pistols, YMMV.

skosh69
11-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I love mine! No thumb safety.

If It were me and I lived in a free state, I would look at the Pro series, the CORE models or the new Performance Center ported models. All of them are upgraded models of the base M&P gun and come in either the 4.25" or 5" model, for not much more money.

edgehill
11-11-2014, 08:18 PM
If you want to meet up and shoot mine, let me know. I've carried it concealed. My wife used it at Brownie's class this past weekend without an issue and went through about 1000 rounds. The stock trigger is heavy enough not to worry about the safety.

Gatorade
11-11-2014, 08:35 PM
When you shot my M&P compact it is a no safety version. My $.02 are no safety's for carry guns and some safetys for range guns.

Keep in mind mine is in a Panther but you know how much I have going on with my kids and I have mine on me pretty much from 7am-9pm and only focus on where the muzzle is pointed, no worries about a manual safety at all.

GD2A
11-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt that it's an inherently safe weapon that doesn't need a safety. I guess what I was asking was more along the lines of muscle memory/familiarity.

My 1911's have safeties and a part of making that system ready to fire is snicking off the safety - each and every time I draw.

I'm sensing though, there is no reason to get another model with a safety, then, even though the only semi I carry and shoot has one ... am I making sense?

Caleb
11-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt that it's an inherently safe weapon that doesn't need a safety. I guess what I was asking was more along the lines of muscle memory/familiarity.

My 1911's have safeties and a part of making that system ready to fire is snicking off the safety - each and every time I draw.

I'm sensing though, there is no reason to get another model with a safety, then, even though the only semi I carry and shoot has one ... am I making sense?

Yes you are. It makes sense in a training sort of way. You can always get the safety version but, you don't have to use it.....but its there if you do. Know what I mean?

GD2A
11-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Ordered. No safety. Thanks everyone.

milkmanjoe
11-12-2014, 05:51 AM
Ordered. No safety. Thanks everyone.

Perfect. I don't understand the "safety thing". I don't practice drawing my 1911's while flicking the safety since when I holster I flip the safety up.
Sequence....Holster 1911, safety up(click), walk about my day. Thumb rides on it to shoot anyway.

GD2A
11-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Order canceled. If you ever have the occasion to buy a gun online from BOTACH ... you might want to pass :rolleyes:

The hunt for a full size 9mm is back on!

Caleb
11-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Order canceled. If you ever have the occasion to buy a gun online from BOTACH ... you might want to pass :rolleyes:

The hunt for a full size 9mm is back on!

Here ya go, free shipping. http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/73345/c/firearms/brand/SMITH%20AND%20WESSON

http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-61401-smith-wesson-mp9-full-size-9mm-425-171-no-mag-safety-melonite-finish.aspx#.VGPasqNOnfo

GD2A
11-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Thanks Caleb. Had I stuck with B*****H it would have been delivered for $386 (yup, that's how ticked off I was to cancel a deal like that) but with Black Friday around the corner, I think I'll wait and see about super sales. I do believe my next gun will be one of these or a G19 - pretty much whichever one I find a better deal on.

Gatorade
11-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Wow, $386 delivered. They must have really kicked your pooch.

GD2A
11-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Wow, $386 delivered. They must have really kicked your pooch.

Yeah and I really wish they hadn't because that was a DEAL!!!

Caleb
11-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Do you mind saying what went down?

Gatorade
11-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Yeah and I really wish they hadn't because that was a DEAL!!!

Just shows that some businesses believe their low prices allow them a free pass on good customer service.

GD2A
11-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Do you mind saying what went down?

It was advertised on Slickguns as including shipping. When I (finally) got a real person on the phone and asked them to honor it they wouldn't. I even suggested a credit of $25 (S&H) toward a future purchase and they weren't interested - just not the way to do business in my book.

Moreover, their communication SUCKS ... a true example of you get what you pay for. My voicemail, email and online help queries were all ignored - I had to basically "tele-stalk" them throughout the day to finally get through to a CSR.

Maybe I'm a little too principled for my own good and essentially cut off my nose to spite my face over the $25 but c'mon - honor the deal that brought me to your doorstep ... misprint or not.

flphotog
11-13-2014, 03:50 PM
M&P's are as reliable as Blocks. They are great pistols and I should of never traded away mine. I will get another one day. Oh, your safety is your booger hook. No safety on safe action pistols, YMMV.

I agree, the IMHO the only pistols you need to have a safety on are SA's, especially those with light triggers. All of my 1911's are tuned to about 3.5 lbs but I don't carry them, they are range/comp guns. My carry guns are DAO with no safeties, nothing to get in the way or confuse things.

skosh69
11-14-2014, 12:04 AM
Wait a minute Matt....the M&P was only $386 delivered????,,

Dude, I paid around $550 otd for mine. You need to learn to relax on the principles. funny

You did not say what the price was when we discussed this the other day.

Wish I could buy an M&P for less that $400.
Insert bad words here :facepalm2:

Good luck finding another price like that! Happy hunting.

GD2A
11-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Well ... they currently are offering the Pro for $448 + $25 S/H.

My wallet has a meeting scheduled with my principles today to discuss funny

Gatorade
11-14-2014, 07:21 AM
When I worked retail there were some times we could no go below a specific price because the discount was already to cost or so close to cost we really weren't making money. Sometimes you do those deals to help cash flow when things are slow or there is a check at corporate that needs to be covered. But our rule was we could never go below what we paid for the item. Big sorts like Walmart and others discount below cost when something has been in in inventory too long. Smaller businesses can't discount like that even for a customer service issue like a typo. In my opinion if they were fighting so hard over what seems like a small amount it is probably because they simply couldn't do it. I had customers that had gotten a a substantial discount try to get delivery thrown in at the end, sometimes I had to tell them i couldn't do it because the price was already too low for any furred discounting even if I lost the deal.

So long story to say call back and get the deal!

All that being said if you think they are acting shady then by all means walk away. Have they changed the listing where you found it? If it really was a typo they should have it corrected quickly. If it is bait and switch it may still be active. Also it may have already sold and they don't have any more.

Gatorade
11-14-2014, 07:31 AM
One last thing but keep in mind what we talked about with the .40. You can swap the .40 barrel with the 9mm and switch the mag and you have both calibers. So if there is a better deal on the .40 keep that in mind. If finding 9mm mags is an issue for you I have a full size one I can loan out.

skosh69
11-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Well ... they currently are offering the Pro for $448 + $25 S/H.

My wallet has a meeting scheduled with my principles today to discuss funny

Get it and while you're at it, order one for me :D

To hitch hike on Gatorade's post about 9mm mag availability, as of late there has been no drought to the mag shortage of years gone by. Especially the 17 round mags for you people that live in free states.

Caleb
11-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Get it and while you're at it, order one for me :D

To hitch hike on Gatorade's post about 9mm mag availability, as of late there has been no drought to the mag shortage of years gone by. Especially the 17 round mags for you people that live in free states.

Fairly priced as well.

GD2A
11-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Hmmm ... perhaps I was right to walk away. These comments do not inspire confidence. The wallet and principles came to terms but my gut overruled after considering purchasing a Pro but seeing the comments. Maybe there's more to the crazy low prices than meets the eye. I did try and contact the company to verify but ran into their hopelessly poor communication.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/smith-wesson-mp-9mm-pro-series-pistols-44800-shipped#comments

With $435 seeming to be the best price for a base M&P9 from a reputable vendor, the Glock 19 is looking better for $100 more. PSA has a deal right now on a Gen 4 with a range case a factory 33 round mag thrown in.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/glock-19-gen-4-9mm-package-range-bag-and-33rd-mag-54999

Any thoughts?

skosh69
11-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Get the M&P and don't look back. Forget what Slickguns said about them.

If they're good enough for Jerry Miculek and plenty of others, they're good enough for me.

They feel much better in your hand than a Glock also!

If this ups the ante any, here you go...2 free mags with any M&P purchase now through Dec. 3rd.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_797653_-1_757992_757992_image

Caleb
11-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Get the M&P and don't look back. Forget what Slickguns said about them.

If they're good enough for Jerry Miculek and plenty of others, they're good enough for me.

They feel much better in your hand than a Glock also!

If this ups the ante any, here you go...2 free mags with any M&P purchase now through Dec. 3rd.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_797653_-1_757992_757992_image

I have to agree with the chimp on this. Altho the glock is a good purchase, I believe the M&P will serve you just as well or better.

GD2A
11-14-2014, 07:18 PM
The Slickguns comments had nothing to do with the product, rather it was the shady seller.

All I'm saying is if a G19 is within $100 of a M&P9, it would be hard to pass on the Glock.

Caleb
11-14-2014, 07:23 PM
The Slickguns comments had nothing to do with the product, rather it was the shady seller.

All I'm saying is if a G19 is within $100 of a M&P9, it would be hard to pass on the Glock.

How about checking this out.....?.....

http://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=477869

skosh69
11-14-2014, 07:34 PM

Oh, so you're buying used then?

I bought one gun used on the internet, but I had Cotep'er that lived near the guy check it out first. If not, no way jose to buying a used gun, especially a polymer gun off the internet without a visual inspection first.

GD2A
11-14-2014, 08:20 PM
If you're referring to the reported misrepresentation on the part of Botach; no thank you, I'm looking for a new gun if I'm buying online. It seems their prices are crazy low because their guns are not NIB.

Anyway, I might still try the M&P9 but it's less attractive when the savings is only $100 or so compared to a G19. Not a slight against S&W, Lord knows they're my #1 revo but I've had Glocks since the 90's and feel very comfortable with them.

I've decided to sit on the sidelines and see what Black Friday deals manifest. Afterall, we're not talking 1911's here ... just an extra gun for an extra caliber ;)

GD2A
11-14-2014, 08:24 PM
How about checking this out.....?.....

http://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=477869

"Clips" ... now there's a guy we need to invite over here :D

Caleb
11-14-2014, 08:34 PM
"Clips" ... now there's a guy we need to invite over here :D

uhmmm, no. funny

markbob45
11-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Both my Shield and MP9c have the safety. I am so used to having a safety there I am "looking" for it when I draw anyway.
Either way great guns. Enjoy.