PDA

View Full Version : Brownie method of sharpening on the Spyderco Sharpmaker

brownie
11-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Having had problems for years with the Spyderco Sharpmaker system not getting the last 1/8-1/16th" of the tip sharp, I've come to this method of sharpening with the kit.

Over 10K knives sharpened on this set, the course stones have been replaced once, and are nearing another replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObiL3ZEJ8_w&feature=youtu.be

Caleb
11-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the tip on the tip. I will have to try this method.

brownie
11-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Welcome sir.

edgehill
11-24-2014, 09:29 AM
We watched this on our Roku. Great reminder of what you've taught us. Thanks for the video.

brownie
11-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Welcome as well Andy

Riverpigusmc
11-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Looks like you use more angle than straight vertical on the blade

pony up
11-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Thank you sir. Very well done video. I am still trying to get comfortable with knives to the point that will be confident in maintaining the knife and the edge. Your video is very informative and of great help to me. Thanks

brownie
11-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Comes with a LOT of practice to understand the geometry of each blades edge profile. I do use a more obtuse angle than the directions allow for on most of my long blades due to the convex edge [ not seen on most folders ].

Good eye sir.

brownie
11-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Thank you sir. Very well done video. I am still trying to get comfortable with knives to the point that will be confident in maintaining the knife and the edge. Your video is very informative and of great help to me. Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts

TLE2
11-24-2014, 02:54 PM
You weren't using the safety guards...I'm telling! :)

brownie
11-24-2014, 05:01 PM
You weren't using the safety guards...I'm telling! :)

I haven't used the guards for over a decade, they just get in the way of proper sharpening :eek:

Caleb
11-24-2014, 06:36 PM
I was just going to ask you what degree on the Sharpmaker you use....?.... As well as I wanted to mention that I tried two knives tonight with your method, They came out pefect (well as perfect as I can make them as of now)! I did try my ladies folder by turning the edges of the stones inward (> <) towards each other and that worked well also. Have you tried it that way?

edgehill
11-24-2014, 06:42 PM
I was just going to ask you what degree on the Sharpmaker you use....?.... As well as I wanted to mention that I tried two knives tonight with your method, They came out pefect (well as perfect as I can make them as of now)! I did try my ladies folder by turning the edges of the stones inward (> <) towards each other and that worked well also. Have you tried it that way?

Once she knows what you can do with the Sharpmaker, she'll hand you kitchen knives every time you pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverpigusmc
11-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Once she knows what you can do with the Sharpmaker, she'll hand you kitchen knives every time you pull it out.

That ain't all she may pull out and use a kitchen knife on....may take the rest of the package for her purse :p

Caleb
11-24-2014, 07:00 PM

She DID say something to that effect, I declined. :D

That ain't all she may pull out and use a kitchen knife on....may take the rest of the package for her purse :p

I don't think so, Willis!

brownie
11-24-2014, 07:30 PM

I used that method on serrated for years, but the method I demo'd will do serrated as well, so it's one way for everything

Snipersnest
11-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Never tried the Spyderco system, but have used the Lansky system since the mid-seventies.

XDMan
11-25-2014, 02:28 PM
I've migrated to use the Apex Edge Pro, but will still use the Spyderco Sharpmaker for quick touch-ups using your method.

Rvrctyrngr
12-03-2014, 10:36 AM
I've migrated to use the Apex Edge Pro, but will still use the Spyderco Sharpmaker for quick touch-ups using your method.

The Apex is on my short list of stuff I 'need'. The Spydie does the job on the blades I use/carry everyday, as long as I don't let them get too far gone (and I don't)!

Brownie taught me his method years ago, and I've not looked back. Takes things to another level, once you get the feel for it.

milkmanjoe
12-03-2014, 11:09 AM
The Apex is on my short list of stuff I 'need'. The Spydie does the job on the blades I use/carry everyday, as long as I don't let them get too far gone (and I don't)!

Brownie taught me his method years ago, and I've not looked back. Takes things to another level, once you get the feel for it.

Scot-t....was that the Apex at Brownie's class a year ago at Volusia? I remember being interested. I have an old man up in SC that sharpens even our kitchen knives to a point they are scary. But, alas, he is aging out and I need to do my own soon.

Rvrctyrngr
12-03-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't remember seeing an Apex at any of the classes, Joe. One of the guys at 'the other place' turned me on to them. After seeing what they could do (he showed me several knives he'd worked with it), I was sold.

milkmanjoe
12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't remember seeing an Apex at any of the classes, Joe. One of the guys at 'the other place' turned me on to them. After seeing what they could do (he showed me several knives he'd worked with it), I was sold.

Got it, Thanks. Time to inform Santa.(my wife with the earplugs)