COTEP.org

COTEP.org (https://www.cotep.org/forum/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.cotep.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Greetings from Down on da Bayou! (https://www.cotep.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16829)

Kilowatt3 12-15-2023 02:57 PM

Greetings from Down on da Bayou!

Hi All,

Jim here, from down on da Bayou in SW Louisiana, near ol' Charlie's Lake.

Came across a couple of references to COTEP on another Forum, and decided to check it out. 1911 enthusiast since 1977, my current inventory is:

Colt Combat Commander, Special Combat Government, and Talo/WC Lightweight Commander,
Dan Wesson Valor, Valkyrie CCO, Vigil Commander, ECO, Heritage, and Bruin,
Les Baer PII,
Wilson Combat ACP,
Sig C3,
Tisas 1911A Service,
RIA GI Standard 9mm.

All are .45ACP except the 9mm RIA and the 10mm Bruin. Obviously I have a strong weakness for DW's! :)

Looking forward to getting to know you guys better!

Best regards,
Jim

BadOscar 12-15-2023 07:03 PM

Welcome, sorry about the wait getting in. The validation email thing stopped working.

Nice collection you have there.

sdmc530 12-15-2023 08:27 PM

Welcome JIM!
Nice collection there!

Welcome to the asylum!

DrHenley 12-15-2023 08:39 PM

Howdy from Georgia, via Southern Virginia!

BlackKnight 12-15-2023 09:34 PM

Welcome!

Semper Paratus 12-15-2023 09:47 PM

Welcome from Tidewater VA. Spent about 4+ years down there running around the Bayous doing vessel inspections during the 80's.

Kilowatt3 12-16-2023 08:35 AM

Thanks!

Thanks, Fellows, for the welcome and the info!

A few quick questions:

I seem to be tagged, "Mimber Lover" on my icon. I'm assuming this is a little dig at newbie Forum members (?). How do I get rid of it???

I see a lot of "Thanks" on various posts, but I do not see how to offer to others.

Do I get a Member # and/or card for joining the Forum, or is that a step up with other requirements?

Please advise!

DaFadda 12-16-2023 01:02 PM

welcome Jim!

sdmc530 12-16-2023 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 (Post 176431)

A few quick questions:

I seem to be tagged, "Mimber Lover" on my icon. I'm assuming this is a little dig at newbie Forum members (?). How do I get rid of it???

I see a lot of "Thanks" on various posts, but I do not see how to offer to others.

Do I get a Member # and/or card for joining the Forum, or is that a step up with other requirements?

Please advise!

I am not sure you can change the "mimber lvoer" tag I think its a badge or something admin has to change. I thought we could but couldn't' find it.

When you start a thread there is a thanks button at the bottom right of the initial post. There is there that comes from.

Member numbers were tracked by Clyde, but he has been MIA for a long while now. Not sure if Alex or Mike even has this data base. This is a good question, we should really try to get this list.

Riverpigusmc 12-16-2023 02:12 PM

Welcome from North Florida by the Georgia line. Used to get over to Loosiana when I lived in Dallas

DrHenley 12-16-2023 09:34 PM

Quote:

I seem to be tagged, "Mimber Lover" on my icon. I'm assuming this is a little dig at newbie Forum members (?). How do I get rid of it

Just part of new member initiation.

FfNJGTFO 12-17-2023 06:48 AM

Welcome from Tampa Bay!

Kilowatt3 12-17-2023 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHenley (Post 176435)
Just part of new member initiation.

OK, I get it. Just a little hazing.

But, "Mimber lover"??? Kinda cruel, isn't it??? :kick:

DrHenley 12-17-2023 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 (Post 176437)

COTEP ain't for sissies. Put your big boy pants on and suck it up. :D

DaFadda 12-17-2023 12:48 PM

Quote:

A few quick questions:

Please advise!

Getting rid of the mimber moniker? Originally, that was a "new member" logo for those on the big board who were in love with Kimber. Always with a smile and said in jest. To say thanks, look to the bottom right of the post and you should see a "thanks" button.

The author of the card and member numbers is no longer with us, but thanks for the reminder. I'll check with the boss and maybe we can reinstate it. Oscar?

Michael

sdmc530 12-17-2023 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFadda (Post 176440)
Getting rid of the mimber moniker? Originally, that was a "new member" logo for those on the big board who were in love with Kimber. Always with a smile and said in jest. To say thanks, look to the bottom right of the post and you should see a "thanks" button.

The author of the card and member numbers is no longer with us, but thanks for the reminder. I'll check with the boss and maybe we can reinstate it. Oscar?

Michael

Alex if you can get me the data I can take over the card duties..don't bother me a bit.

sdmc530 12-17-2023 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 (Post 176437)

We are a fun but thick skinned group. Be prepared to :D

Really good folks on here, missing a few as of late but I have found the couple of friends I made on here invaluable to me for lots of reasons!

FfNJGTFO 12-23-2023 05:12 AM

Quote:

A few quick questions:

The title "Mimber Lover" is your first title when you join COTEP as a "newbie." It's sort of indicative of a certain brand of pistol that a lot of the OG members disliked (I think you can figure it out). Not that it's totally bad. After all Alex (@BadOscar) is our "Admimberistrator." Once you're here for a while, participating in some discussions so that we can all get to know you better, magically, you should get the coveted "COTEP Member" title.

Quote:

If you look at the very first post of each thread, you'll see at the bottom a list of people who have offered "Thanks." There should also be a button on the right of that area for you to offer "Thanks." I'm not sure if you must have achieved "COTEP Member" status in order for the button to turn on, but if you have that capability, that's where you will find it (or find it eventually). You can only do it for the initial thread post, though.

Quote:

Please advise!

The member # is going to be a bit harder a nut to crack. There are quite a few of us here (myself included) that don't yet have one and haven't for several years. They were given originally to the first few people who joined by one of the founding fathers of COTEP who isn't on here regularly, anymore (@NAMVET72). He's, sort of, the de-facto "Membership Director."

That member has had some medical issues going on. We certainly respect his need to take care of himself. At some point, maybe someone else will assume that function, but right now, we must all be patient.

BadOscar 12-25-2023 07:54 AM

I'm not seeing how there could be much MIM in that collection, so enough hazing I guess. Account upgraded.

I don't think Clyde ever gave me the full member number list. I'll search around.

Kilowatt3 12-25-2023 08:07 AM

Whew! Thanks!

Sheepdog 12-28-2023 11:41 PM

Welcome!

Kilowatt3 01-06-2024 06:13 AM

OK! Thanks for the welcomes, fellows!

One more quick question - The 'Posting Rules' box says I "...may not post attachments". Is that a post count thing, or do I have to do something else? The Forum allowed me to upload pics to an album, but I apparently can't post a pic in a discussion thread. Please advise!

Tnx,
Jim

DrHenley 01-06-2024 06:30 AM

There are posting rules? :eek:

Kilowatt3 01-06-2024 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHenley (Post 176515)
There are posting rules? :eek:

In a little box in the lower left corner of the page.

DrHenley 01-06-2024 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 (Post 176516)
In a little box in the lower left corner of the page.

:o I never go down there.

It says I can't post attachments either.

BadOscar 01-07-2024 05:32 AM

pig has 2 unwritten rules. One has something to do with fire. We haven't figured out the second one yet.

BlackKnight 01-07-2024 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadOscar (Post 176519)
pig has 2 unwritten rules. One has something to do with fire. We haven't figured out the second one yet.

Mules! He needs to stay away from mules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilowatt3 01-07-2024 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadOscar (Post 176519)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackKnight (Post 176520)
Mules! He needs to stay away from mules.

You guys are a big help!

FfNJGTFO 01-07-2024 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 (Post 176514)
OK! Thanks for the welcomes, fellows!

One more quick question - The 'Posting Rules' box says I "...may not post attachments". Is that a post count thing, or do I have to do something else? The Forum allowed me to upload pics to an album, but I apparently can't post a pic in a discussion thread. Please advise!

Tnx,
Jim

No one (except, perhaps, the mods and "admimberistrators") can post attachments. You can post external links to pics on a different host. The objective being, to keep hard disk space on the COTEP host/server at a reasonable level.

Kilowatt3 01-12-2024 10:03 AM

OK, since I can't upload a pic in a forum thread, please feel free to view my "Kimber" photo album.

sdmc530 01-12-2024 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 (Post 176538)
OK, since I can't upload a pic in a forum thread, please feel free to view my "Kimber" photo album.

That your car? I don't know if we can handle that level of class around here :D

Sheepdog 01-26-2024 12:20 PM

Welcome!

Caleb 02-05-2024 09:35 PM

Welcome aboard.

Stay away from Pig, he has cooties.