COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Semi Custom on a budget

Hi Gang,
I know it didn't happen without pics, but I'm headed to the range with my freshly back from the manufacturer 10mm Cbob. I had planned to have Mr. Severns do some work on it, but wasn't sure the funds would be available when the work could be done at his shop, so I called Keith at DW with a laundry list:

DW
New ramped 10mm barrel fitted instead of the older non ramped barrel ( I was getting bulged cases shooting full power loads due to some dremel work by the previous owner, but, I got a great deal after he screwed it up.)

New fire control group like the Valor

New oversized bushing

Flush cut and crowned barrel

Flush and countersunk slide stop

Me
In addition to the factory work, I high polished the slide flats and bead blasted everything else.

New straight 8 rear sight.

VZ thin grips off my Vbob (after replacing those with some from Sarge.)

New 22lb Wilson spring.

EGW FPS fitted as per recommendations from LogMan/Dave B. etc. with the intention of slowing the slide a bit, but we'll see if that needs tuning with springs etc.

Anyway, it looks great and I hope to provide a range report with pics. The DW shop did a beautiful job on the barrel and the fire control group. Feels just like my Vbob. Semi-Custom on a budget, lol. Humbly, I'm proud of the polish and bead blasting, being a rank amateur. All the lines are straight and I have a mirror to shave with on long hunting trips

DW cust service was great, and was only 3 weeks door to door.

Crappy iPhone pics to follow...

Slide stop and new barrel

Flush cut and 90deg crown with new bushing

Ramp detail, DW machined the frame and fit the new barrel

New rear sight, which should be a sticky since everyone, including me, keeps asking what cut it is, ultra low mount Novak.
This is the standard in recent memory for cbobs and valors as far as I know.

Shiny slide flats, and preserved the lines that make this a classic style up top. Aggressive polishing can ruin lots of things, including these.

Coupla nice holsters from forum members RockIsland and NormanXDM, in that order.

All in all, I am very happy with the outcome, and it shoots like crazy. My best off a rest at 10 yards was a ragged hole of .6" (C to C) for 8 shots with hornady 180 gr xtps @ 1180 on the chrono. It was warm at the range and they were somewhat obnoxious to shoot. The trigger is great, breaking at 4lbs even on the gauge. Very crisp and no discernable creep whatsoever. Better than I expected before the 1000 round trigger job. Until the report and recoil, I'm not sure I could tell it apart from my Vbob blindfolded.

Smile, wait for flash

COTEP #453

Last edited by Mghwk; 06-07-2011 at 12:21 AM.