COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 04-25-2020, 05:31 PM
COTEP Member

Default Wilson Combat 9mm ETM Mags

The 9mm Wilson ACP that I reviewed for the M1911.ORG E-zine a few months ago came with two of the new design ETM magazines. They were noticeably easier to both load, and seat into the pistol with the slide forward, than any other 10 round 9mm mags I’ve ever used, including Wilson’s previous generation of ETM magazines.

I have a Wilson Professional Model (four inch frame and slide) that I’ve had for over 10 years now, which was made back in ‘05. I bought it to shoot IDPA ESP class with, and was never interested in carrying it because of the ambi safety it came with. I would have changed it out immediately, but the frame and all small parts except the hammer are finished in OD green Armor Tuff.

I recently (better late than never, I suppose) decided to update the pistol a bit. I replaced the ambi thumb safety with a single sided one, and added a one piece mag well, both from Wilson, and in OD green. I also got a new pair of stocks to mate up with the mag well.

Now, this is where the new magazines come in. After installing the new parts, I decided that, since the ambi was now a thing of the past, I’d put the pistol into my carry rotation. Remember, I had 10 years of history shooting it, with no functional issues to speak of. Well, just imagine my chagrin when I couldn’t get a full magazine of hollow point ammunition through the gun without failures to feed! Since it was a range gun, I had never tried to shoot it with any hollow point ammo. That was when I remembered how nice and smoothly the new design mags that came with the ACP 1911 functioned. So, i ordered four of them from Wilson, and loaded a couple with hollow point ammunition. I was able to hand cycle all 20 rounds from both mags through the pistol without issue. Things were definitely looking up! So, I took all four mags, along with the Professional Model, some 115 gr FMJ, and two different kinds of hollow point ammo, to the range. Everything ran through that pistol like grease through a goose! Of course, the ball ammo fed without any problems. I then shot the Federal 115 gr JHP, which has a rounded bullet profile, and Hornady 115 gr JHP, which has more of a truncated cone (TC) bullet profile. TC bullets seem to be more problematic in feeding in some pistols. Both fed flawlessly for me now, using the new magazines.

So, if anyone with a 9mm 1911 has been experiencing feeding issues; I recommend that you give these new Wilson ETM magazines a try. They certainly provided a drastic improvement in feeding for me!

The 9mm 1911 magazines that I’d previously used were the original Wilson 10 round ETM mags (10 years old now), plus several nine round mags from various manufacturers.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.

Last edited by Rick McC.; 04-25-2020 at 07:53 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick McC. For This Useful Post:
Caleb (04-27-2020), RKP (04-26-2020), sdmc530 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 06:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

two thumbs up!!!
Old 04-26-2020, 12:33 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
...... So, if anyone with a 9mm 1911 has been experiencing feeding issues; I recommend that you give these new Wilson ETM magazines a try. They certainly provided a drastic improvement in feeding for me!

The 9mm 1911 magazines that I’d previously used were the original Wilson 10 round ETM mags (10 years old now), plus several nine round mags from various manufacturers.
Good to know.
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:19 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,481 Times in 716 Posts

I need to try some ETM mags in my CQB. Still running the old reliable 47d's
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 04-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
I need to try some ETM mags in my CQB. Still running the old reliable 47d's
That’s what I run. Never had issues. Since I need to get some new mags for my CQB maybe I’ll try these as well.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:40 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, been wanting to get a couple more mags for the PM-9 C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk