COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 11-07-2014, 04:08 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I know the awesomeness of the M1, I have two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony up View Post
Way way way back in the middle of the last century the USMC took my dead eye dick 22 caliber bolt action rifle away from me in exchange for a skunk greased, nearly 11 lb. w/ bayonet (the only attachment) piece of iron sighted ugliness, named the M1 with the instructions to be careful of my thumb. I was still trying to figure out how not to be one of the last 5 recruits down the ladder at 5am thereby earning the privilege of running circles around the platoon during our still dark 2 mile "build an appetite" run before breakfast. A few weeks work on the boat anchor turned it into fine looking weapon. I was proud when my Drill Instructor took my stocks for his rifle when we graduated. I had no idea what a wonderful piece it was until we hit the rifle range and I surprisingly found I could center punch Baker targets not only prone but standing offhand from the 500 yard line. My DI thought it was a stupid pet trick to show up other DI's. It was the rifle not the shooter, although everything my dad had taught me about safety and marksmanship were gospel. Today's weapons are so different. Are they as much better as I think and as they look? I need to find out. I have been away from long guns for way to long.. Congrats on your build. Do NOT forget the chocolate s'moores attachment. Everyone likes desert.