Old 08-06-2016, 03:53 PM
COTEP Member

Arley, did you get all your parts yet?
Old 08-06-2016, 07:18 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Arley, did you get all your parts yet?
Just got the 15 inch key mod handguard ordered . Received the mini gas block today .The lock nut for a soon to order Muzzle Brake is on its way .

That wiped out the bank till next month . Then I'll get some brass ordered and some 55 gr. boolets and at least one mag . Should start to cool off by then so I could get out to shoot this thing . I have a small amount of "reloader 15 " Then find some powder local as the shipping is just ridicules .

Any way thanks for asking hope soon to finish it off with pics for ya .
RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro
Old 08-15-2016, 12:53 PM
COTEP Member

Default New pics

Got the " Key mod and gas block installed . Color is off FDE so I will recolor it at some point . May do the Pardus stock at the same time . The stock I really like costs about 1/3 of what I have in the rifle now . Not going to happen .

Rear sight is a bit to tall to fit under the scope other than where it is now ( see pic ) I can sight it but I have not used live rounds to see if it can even be done . I have a 1 inch rail and some low mounts but I have not tried them . I like where the scope sets now nice and close to the guard .

So what do you think about the BUIS placement ?

RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro
Old 08-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Two weeks ago:

Complete Magpul furniture lower.... blem (but I can't find the flaw) $149.

Magpul furniture upper, complete with BCG/CH. $269.

Amazon has rear sights for 24.99 from UTG. Easy on the wallet, and as good as the full handle i.e. M16A2 style.

Total in the gun.... and I'm not adding it up... I'm guessing..... $425-455. The quality is better than the Smith and Wesson 15. I've built a couple in the past from scratch. I cannot build it for this price, and the PSA quality is good. I would NOT buy the PTAC product from PSA. I've not seen it, but I've also not heard good things about them. My PSA products go bang every time!

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:45 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I never built an ar...never owned one.....building one seems like it would be a fun thing to do.....
I'm in the same boat, don't own one but I'm really tempted to build one before the end of the year. PSA seems to be the way to go.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
I'm in the same boat, don't own one but I'm really tempted to build one before the end of the year. PSA seems to be the way to go.
I have 4 ARs I built all 4 of them, it is easy to do and gives you an insight into the platform that you don't get from buying assembled. Buying a built lower and a built upper is the most cost effective option in my opinion. However squeezing the roll pins in and shooting something that was a bunch of parts in a bag is very satisfying.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
I have 4 ARs I built all 4 of them, it is easy to do and gives you an insight into the platform that you don't get from buying assembled. Buying a built lower and a built upper is the most cost effective option in my opinion. However squeezing the roll pins in and shooting something that was a bunch of parts in a bag is very satisfying.
Thank you for the insight Charlie.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Thank you for the insight Charlie.
For some reason in the AR world the parts and assembly don't price out the same. When I ordered my parts I added them up and figured I would save money verses buying built. What I found out was that the same parts assembled came out less than when I ordered parts and assembled them myself. The only difference is if you want something custom that you won't find on a standard package.

Complete classic lower $159.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/compl...c-edition.html

Classic build kit $89.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/palme...kit-29040.html

Stripped blemished lower $79.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-b...ire-lower.html

So the parts come to $170 plus shipping around $12.00 or so if they ship together, if not then probably $20 so you are at $190 when you can buy the same parts pre assembled for $159.99 with free shipping. A savings of $30 and assembled with factory warranty and no lost springs or other pieces that flew across the room while being assembled.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:00 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
For some reason in the AR world the parts and assembly don't price out the same. When I ordered my parts I added them up and figured I would save money verses buying built. What I found out was that the same parts assembled came out less than when I ordered parts and assembled them myself. The only difference is if you want something custom that you won't find on a standard package.

Complete classic lower $159.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/compl...c-edition.html

Classic build kit $89.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/palme...kit-29040.html

Stripped blemished lower $79.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-b...ire-lower.html

So the parts come to $170 plus shipping around $12.00 or so if they ship together, if not then probably $20 so you are at $190 when you can buy the same parts pre assembled for $159.99 with free shipping. A savings of $30 and assembled with factory warranty and no lost springs or other pieces that flew across the room while being assembled.
No doubt in my mind, for me and where I'm at I would buy assembled. I can watch YouTube videos and disassemble at my own leisure.

Thanks Charlie
Old 08-16-2016, 05:39 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
No doubt in my mind, for me and where I'm at I would buy assembled. I can watch YouTube videos and disassemble at my own leisure.

Thanks Charlie
Exactly what I thought too. Might as well buy it complete, then take it apart and put it back together again for the fun of it.
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.