COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
You didn't take pics of them on your pistol? If you did, go ahead and let us see!
I didn't want to steal your thunder!

I don't see any pics with them actually on the pistol. I must not have taken any.

They were dropped off via Fedex this PM. I emailed you the tracking info, in case you see this first.

Jason
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM
COTEP Member

The grips arrived today from Jason and Zane, and they look and feel terrific.

These pics don't do them justice.

Thanks guys, these are the finishing touch to a really wonderful pistol. Also my most heartfelt thanks to Navman who made this process a lot of fun and who built the perfect pistol for me.

I had it out on the range last weekend and shot a couple hundred rounds through it. It's almost broken in and ready to carry. It's feeding both ball and JHP reliably now, and the slide is locking back most of the time. :)

Still a bit tight!

It's been an adventure, and in another week and another couple hundred rounds, I think it will be ready to carry.

It's accurate as anything I've ever shot, and these slim grips make it feel great in my hand and in the holster.

The left hand side has the Navy Boatswains Mate insignia:

The right hand side has the Navy Officer's crest:

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_G View Post
I think you'll like them. did a great job making them. When I put them on my CBOB to check my designs for squareness to the bore axis, I kind of had a moment of envy there for a second

I think I want some slim grips now. I've never handled them before, but I like them.

If you have any Renaissance Wax, you need to keep them coated with some. If you don't have any, you should get some. It's available from Brownell's. It looks kind of pricey, about $16 for a small can, but actually a little goes a long way, and it should last a long time. I've been through a lot of products, and it's the best thing I've found for protecting scrimshaw, and for keeping light colored porous materials like bone and ivory from getting dirty and dingy looking. It's actually really good for keeping rust off carbon steel knives, and keeping leather holsters looking good, too.

Jason
I like them! Pics posted in another post in this thread.

I have relatively small hands and while full thickness grips work fine for me, I think the slim grips are more comfortable, and they sure reduce the cross section of the pistol, making it a bit more concealable.

Bought some Renaissance Wax today from Amazon. $18 shipped 2nd day.

I'm thinking about whether these grips are tough enough for daily carry or if I should save them for when I need a "Duty BBQ Gun". Range days? Meet-ups?

What do you guys think?

Tom
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Very Nice ,

Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

that is one sweet looking pistol Tom! i want one so bad!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar grips. View Post
that is one sweet looking pistol Tom! i want one so bad!
As and know, I've been on a quest to find the perfect carry grips for this pistol.

I've got a beautiful set of Sarge's grips with Navy medallions sent to me my my friend and shipmate , and I've got a set of camel bone grips made by and scrimshawed by Jason.

Both of these are beautiful. Really beautiful. Maybe too beautiful for carry. More like BBQ.

So I asked to make me a set of gabon ebony grips with a tung oil finish, and I think the results are spectacular.

The photo doesn't do them justice. They are very dark, but have some dark brown running through them. They are satin finished instead of gloss.

I like them! They make this pistol look functional, all business, and very beautiful.

I'm done. No more messing with it.

-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

that pistol looks great Tom!!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Very nice!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM
COTEP Member

SWEET! I so want a custom build. Is it a sin to covet thy fellow forum members gun? lol.

CBOB0714
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptscbob View Post
SWEET! I so want a custom build. Is it a sin to covet thy fellow forum members gun? lol.
That's what eventually got me to my own custom. Go for it!

Tom
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ