COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 05-29-2014, 07:13 PM
COTEP Member

doesnt the steel cased crap have a shellac on the cases? that cant help either. Bubba'd gun with crappy ammo by the lowest bidder. Takes alot to blow a gun up. If memory serves hatcher tried repeatedly shootin rounds well in excess of 100k and coulnd blow a garand
Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

One more thing I'll touch on here and it is related. I know it's your gun but, I don't advise using any ammunition in your Garand that isn't designated for use in a Garand. The problem with M1s is not chamber-pressure, it's port-pressure at the Gas-Cylinder. Garands run on a very narrow pressure-curve, 4 to 6000psi at the port. Most of the standard 30-06 Deerloads run upwards of 55,0000-57,000psi at the chamber which translates to about 8,000psi at the port. While not the overpressure in the Vid., this amount will end up damaging your rifle. Mainly through premature wear of the Op-Rod Tab and the bolt lugs and receses. The more pressure at the port the faster the gun cycles. Too much Bolt-speed and things get bent.

I have yet to see 308. ammo designated for use in a Garand, several man. do for the 06.
Be careful.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 PM
COTEP Member

Fgmm and federal m1a is loaded with powders in a suitable burn range to be fired in a 308 garand. As is just about everything marketed as m80 m118 or 7.62 nato. If its safe in an m1a its safe in an m1
Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
Why would a slam fire throw 3 rounds?

Read down this thread.....

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...hp/t-4124.html

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Joe, if the gun isn't firmly planted against your shoulder and the trigger pulled all the way back you will sometimes get bouncefire. You pull the trigger, the rifle recoils back against your shoulder because you held it loose and bounces back forward into your trigger-finger, firing a second round. This happens so fast it sounds like FA fire. This is what the guy in your referenced thread calls wrongly slamfire.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 PM
COTEP Member

going back to i am calebs photos of how the firing pin goes into the slot in the chamber and my comment about these being able to slamfire and fire out of battery. The design is so that the hammer cannot strike the firing pin until the bolt has cammed into battery. If for some reason the round stops short of going into the chamber the firing pin itself under its own inertia can strike the primer with enough force to fire the gun. At a jcg match i was firing in at a local club last year we had a man have a case separation just before the datum line allowing the next cartridge to go in all but about 3/16 of an inch. The round went off not supported by the chamber and broke the extractor on the bold, the clip latch, follower, follower arm, and oprod catch, along with a ruined pair of safety glasses and a facial laceration. We used cerosafe to extract what was left of the cartridge from the chamber and found it firmly seated into the neck of the broken shell
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
Joe, if the gun isn't firmly planted against your shoulder and the trigger pulled all the way back you will sometimes get bouncefire. You pull the trigger, the rifle recoils back against your shoulder because you held it loose and bounces back forward into your trigger-finger, firing a second round. This happens so fast it sounds like FA fire. This is what the guy in your referenced thread calls wrongly slamfire.
Also enough milk man joe what dave is referring to here is what we match shooters call "milking the trigger"
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
I got it Dave...I posted that link cause on one of my Socom II's it happened to me...gun was bouncin' off my shoulder and firing...but mine needed repair....I have read where slamfire can cause a two round "burst", something about the trigger not being right.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
Also enough milk man joe what dave is referring to here is what we match shooters call "milking the trigger"
...if the shoe fits, wear it...or...if the foo sh*ts,....oh, I forget