COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Long Guns

Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Weight......

Ok I got a really nice 400 lbs digital scale that I kinda borrowed from our warehouse at my work. I wanted to do some weighing, I've been curious.

I still have to do more weighing but just to give you an idea my LMT308MWS with the mods I've done to it so far (I'll call this my 20" setup) weighs in at 14.5 lbs loaded with 20 rounds of Federal 150gr soft points. So what you see in the pic is how I weighed it but I weighed it with a full magazine.

20" Barrel, PWS-FSC30, Harris 6-9 Bipod with ADM QD mount, Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 (TR22R) with ADM 30mm ring QD Recon mount. Magpul front stubby vertical grip, Magpul 20 round 308 mag and a few other small mods that really shouldn't make any difference. I do have 2 Surefire 123 batteries stored in the Buttstock and one in the grip.

I will be doing comparisons between my 20" setup as seen here and when I have it set up as a 16" blaster with EoTech HWS and EoTech 3xMagnifier...etc. I will post a bunch of different weights later.

I was curious about how much just one fully loaded 20 round 308 Pmag magazine weighed and well with the above mentioned ammo it weighs in at 1.5 pounds. (( Just one 20 round Mag ))..

I guess 14.5 lbs fully loaded with optics and bipod...etc isn't to bad because I would have guessed it weighed between 16 and 17 lbs and I have seen some long range bolt rifles that weigh in at 17 to 18 pounds maybe more.

I will post new vids later after this range trip..

-Ryan S
2010 DW SS RZ-45 Heritage, 2011 DW SS Valor Bobtail (V-BOB), 2010 DW CCO, 2012 DW ECO, Sig Sauer P238 SAS edition, Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion (5in barrel), Kahr P380, ,Kahr PM9->Black Diamond coat-Night sights, Daniel Defense DDM4 V4, LMT308MWS, and a FN SCAR 17 "Heavy".
COTEP # CCO0488
God Bless Our Troops
Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I'd say that 14.5 pounds for a precision 20 inch 308 semi-auto is pretty par for the course. I weighed mine after today's shooting session at 14.4 pounds with the same items installed as Ryan (except the vertical hand grip).

During our range session, we decided to pull off the 20 inch barrel and install the 16 incher. I took some pics, but they really weren't necessary. Steps were: remove one bolt....loosen another.....remove barrel. Reassembly is opposite (Duh!), with torque specs provided.

What was really sweet was that after switching from the 20 inch tube to the 16 inch one, the bullet impact (with same ammo) shifted approximately 1 1/2 inches. Later, when he re-installed the 20 inch barrel, POI was right back where it was before the swap. That is damn cool in my book.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Very nice. I also got a Daniel Defense DDM4V1. Would love to add a .308. Let me know how it shoots. It looks great!

Bob
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Awesome update! Got pics up of the nightforce NXS NP-R1 recticle. Still waiting on the scope mount and 2nd LMT308MWSE. Pics of the target were taken with the Burris Eliminator @ 100Y.

Nightforce recticle is clear, clean and razor sharp. Illumination is left alone for night conditions and left it at factory settings.
http://m1124.photobucket.com/albums/...FYfSeLt2YIA%3D

Weapon: LMT308MWS x 2, Timney Trigger, WCI Titanium Muzzle Brake, LMT FDE Sopmod, FDE Ergo Grip, UTG Folding Billet Aluminum Forearm Grip, Magpul Pmag 20LR, Magpul FDE MS2 Multi Position Sling.

Scopes: Burris Eliminator Laserscope, Nightforce 5-22x50 NXS with Zerostop Turrets.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrockabilly View Post
Sweet so they are offering different caliber barrels already for the LMT308MWS huh? Let's say I wanted something like that, did you just call LMT directly and ask what there options are?

Also do you use the same magazine as the 308? Sorry I figured it would but Im not to familiar with the 260. ( answered my question).
Yes, you can call LMT direct and find out retail pricing, and availability. But keep in mind I am about 10% below their retail pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrockabilly View Post
How long did it take for them to get you that barrel?

I'm not going to ask how much because I can guess for myself. I am sure you can by a very nice bolt rifle for the price of that barrel. But it's just awesome isn't it? So it makes it worth it
I got my two barrels in about 5 weeks, the 260 was in stock but I had to wait on the other one, so I told them to ship when they were both available. They retail for about $700 each, but we sell them for a bit less than that...

Bill
Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

14.5 pounds??? That's heavier than a NM M1A(10 pounds)! Well, at least it's in a good,effective, useful caliber. Congrats!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
14.5 pounds??? That's heavier than a NM M1A(10 pounds)! Well, at least it's in a good,effective, useful caliber. Congrats!
The 14.4 pounds is with a scope, bipod, and 20 rounds of ammo. When I pull the scope and bipod off my 308 AR, it's 11.6 pounds fully loaded......exactly what my M1A (non NM) weighs fully loaded.

Of course the M1A looks much better.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post

Now, I love M1A's, but Imma have to argue this one...lol.

Bill
Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post

Let me add some additional info:

In battle rifle mode (without the bipod and scope) running irons, the 22" M1A with Walnut stock looks better. Fully equipped for long range action, the AR comes into its element.

Naturally, the M1 Garand looks "better" than both.

Last edited by Grizzman; 09-27-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

I concur with , ARs got no soul. As for long-range elements, I'll take the M24 with the ART scope. Good out to the 308/7.62NATOs max range.