COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 08-19-2016, 05:46 PM
COTEP Member

Default FMJ and LRN down the same barrel

I guess this would be in the reloading section because it is a question about bullets. Talking to Matt earlier about some reloading I was doing for my range trip this weekend and mentioned I was loading some of my cast lead .45 bullets for the Rock Island 1911. He said that lead isn't too good in 1911s. I have thought lead would not be reccomended in anything with a gas port because shavings could block the port. However 1911 is a straight barrel. I know some say switching back and forth could lead to some lead, and copper fouling layering on top of each other but what about just lead?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:58 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

I shoot lead in my 1911's without any problems. as long as your lead isn't too soft and the bullets are sized correctly then you should be ok.

fyi, bevel base bullets are more prone to leading since gases can more easily get past the base and soften the lead causing it to streak. if the leading isn't too severe you can shoot a few jacketed bullets and it should clean out your barrel.

if you have severe leading then you can use Copper Chore Boy cleaning pads wrapped around an old bore brush for a snug fit. Make sure that you use the Chore Boy brand. The off brands may just be copper washed steel and scratch your barrel up.

Last edited by Lonestar grips.; 08-19-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 PM
COTEP Member

Lead bullets tend to suffer nose damage in sem-autos, reducing their accuracy.

Generally not a problem if the alloy is hard enough.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:48 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,484 Times in 717 Posts

I load and shoot lead. Like Dick Goesinya said, take a magnet with ya and buy real Chore Boy. Wilson Combat has a video about it
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks for the input. I cast using wheel weights and have been told that is harder than pure lead. I did shoot some FMJ through it but with free lead I will be shooting more .45 cast. I run them through a Lee .451 sizer. They come out with a flat base.

I was contemplating shooting lead in my M&P40C since I already have .401 dies from loading 38-40. However since that is my EDC I will keep it with just jacketed ammo. Untill I start experimenting with powder coating .401 cast lead and see that it won't lead my barrel. If I can get the powder coating down good then it would open up more casting for Blackout and others.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:22 PM
COTEP Member

wheel weights are plenty hard as is for range shooting (generally 9-10 BNH) but if you water drop them they'll be even harder.

powder coating is the best way to go nowadays.

if you're still learning about it I suggest you read through this thread. http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...ating-question

Dick Thompson aka Sixshot is a Major Handgun hunter and when it comes to cast bullets I trust his word over just about anyone else's.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:28 PM
COTEP Member

Tank Hoover knows a thing or two about it as well. http://americanhandgunner.com/homebr...-to-lube-them/
Old 08-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,790 Times in 732 Posts

Dick Goesinya o busy out laughing every tome i read that.

I have loaded with lead but like already stated accuracy tanked for me so i dont unless its plated.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:11 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
He said that lead isn't too good in 1911s.
Balderdash!

I shoot nothing but lead in my Dan Wesson. I have some 1911s that shoot jacketed only, and some that shoot both. But I use the DW in IDPA, and casting my own bullets is the only way I can afford to practice enough to shoot competitively. I figure about 7 cents per round. That would be $3.50 per box of fifty.

If you use the right powder, have sufficient lube, and the right alloy, and the bullets are the correct size for the bore, leading is reduced tremendously. There is always a little, but it doesn't build up fast if you get everything right. And it helps tremendously if your barrel is high quality with a well polished bore. And if it isn't, just shoot a few thousand cast bullets through it and it will be well polished!

You need a quick powder like Bullseye or Trail Boss to "bump up" the bullet.

I used to use straight wheel weights, but I am now mixing in a little tin and linotype. They aren't hard-cast and the noses do deform slightly, but they are still darned accurate and super reliable.

The best commercial bullets I've used were Oregon Trail Laser-Cast 230 gr round nosed. (when I'm too lazy to cast my own) I have had serious leading (and poor accuracy) with some brands of cast, especially Speer and Remington.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 08-20-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:59 AM
COTEP Member

Jim, my load is 228gr wheel weights, quenched in a bucket of water, mixed head stamp brass with Remington Large Pistol primer. 5.0 grains of Bullseye. I use liquid alox tumble lube and size to .451.

I was having some issues with my first few batches of reloads because the crimp die was crimping before the bullet was set all the way and it was building up lead around the top rim of the case. With the build up the bullets wouldn't go fully into battery. I learned about the plunk test with the barrel. I still have a couple rounds that were a little tight but the Lee Alox is sticky stuff sometimes.

When I tried using just the bullets as they came out the bullet mold (Lee 452-228-1R) were too big and budged the brass.

Tomorrow is range day so I will update then.