COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default How do Rock Islands compare?

Lately, I have seen a lot of posts about Rock Island 1911s. All have been very positive. I am curious as to what people think about the RIA quality compared to more established brands. I.e. Colt, Springfield, the name that won't be mentioned, etc) RIA seem to be priced at 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the other brands. I am also aware of the amount of "customization" on some of the fine pieces that I have seem online. I am considering a 9mm, or 38 special for my next project, (or maybe an AR) so I am just looking for input. Best wishes.
NRA Member
:stand:
Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

good questions. I'd like to do the same thing. either start with a 9 and build a 38 super or ??. My goal is a 38 super, but not a long slide. I can't stuff that big a gun in my pants!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Sir, RIAs have a level of quality all out of proportion to their price. Granted, I modified mine to a large degree but, not because it needed it, because I wanted them and I can't keep my hands off of things. As a justification, some of the Mods are because I'm Left-Handed. In close to 14,500 rounds my Rock has been dead reliable for over 14,000 of them. I actually chose it over a brand-new SA Milspec loaded, for only $100.00 more( The SA) because the Rock was tighter, smoother and had a better slide to frame fit. I had the money to buy either gun.

As for the rumors of out of spec parts, frames, etc, that hasn't been my experience with RIAs. This is evidenced by the aftermarket parts I've fitted to it.

It's also every bit as accurate as higher-priced 1911s, mine, from the beginning, would shoot under 2-1/2" at 25 yards from a rest. Most Base-Model 1911s from the other manufacturers will not do this.

All in all, I think RIAs represent the best value out there.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Dave is correct in his post!! Thanks Dave.

The RIA GI Model 1911 is an entry level pistol and should not be compared to the high end 1911's in terms of some fit and finish levels. On a basic GI Model you are getting a $400.00 1911 unlike a $2000.00 custom build which will have all of the bells and whistles.

The RIA has a lifetime warranty on the gun itself and unless you do any mods to it to cause it to not function properly you will be OK.

The Customer Service is top notch and if you do have a problem you can call and get to speak to the gunsmith and not a go between person.

Check out www.armscorusa.com

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
good questions. I'd like to do the same thing. either start with a 9 and build a 38 super or ??. My goal is a 38 super, but not a long slide. I can't stuff that big a gun in my pants!
They do make longer pants.
NRA Member
Old 03-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Pants??? I thought men wore trousers and women wore pants??
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer
Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipersnest View Post
Pants??? I thought men wore trousers and women wore pants??
I think that, given the right set of circumstances, both men and women pant.
NRA Member
Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMag View Post
Dave is correct in his post!! Thanks Dave.

The RIA GI Model 1911 is an entry level pistol and should not be compared to the high end 1911's in terms of some fit and finish levels. On a basic GI Model you are getting a $400.00 1911 unlike a $2000.00 custom build which will have all of the bells and whistles.

The RIA has a lifetime warranty on the gun itself and unless you do any mods to it to cause it to not function properly you will be OK.

The Customer Service is top notch and if you do have a problem you can call and get to speak to the gunsmith and not a go between person.

Check out www.armscorusa.com
Thanks Dave and Automag. You have given me something to think about. The nickle 38 super is interesting...
NRA Member
Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thumbs up a big YES

Definitely worth waaaaay more than what's on the price tag! If you want to know if they're a solid choice to a bit of research on Armscor's history. They played a large roll during WWII providing US troops with Colt 1911s during the Pacific island hopping campaign! The craftsmanship might not be on par with your top-end custom pistolsmiths...but we're talking thousands of dollars and lots of time for that sort of project. As for being reliable...oh yes. They work! Honestly I'll never go back to any other brand (although I do want a museum piece one day) because one of the head guys at RIA, Arnel, is probably the best person I've ever dealt with when it came to customer support. And the Lifetime Warranty is just awesomesauce. As long as you're not drilling your slid or anything crazy like that he'll even install competitor's parts into you gun. And you can rest assured that it'll come back home shooting the first time every time, and accurately at that. I just discussed a lot of that with Arnel just recently, and he's almost got me convinced to ship it! My local gunsmith has a month or more or backorders..sooo we'll have to see.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Here is my Input, AutoMag is the East Coast Rock Pusher................

And Dave is right, they are Great for the money and Good for Build Platforms......

I have 3 so far waiting on my 38 Super to arrive at my LGS..............