COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Default What kind of reloader do you use?

I use Dillon 650 and 1050 progressive reloaders. They work great, dependable and fast. I have heard all the talk about this and that might happen, but mine work great! Like all reloading you need to use common sense. Mine have over under charge, low powder and low primer alarms. I also do all due diligence when reloading. It is all up to what you want out of reloading. Some people trickle weigh every load and that's great. I shoot allot and would rather spend my time shooting than reloading. IMHO I feel the less you have to handle each round lessens the chances of making a mistake. Factory ammo is not made one round at a time. That's my .03 cents.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Well said .

As a noob, I listened to to the "old timer's"/"wise ones" and the vote was unanimous that I get a single stage press aka Rock Chucker. Only your vote was for a progressive.

Now I don't shoot competition, only range plinking. But after a year now, if I had it all to buy over again, I'd of spent the extra and gone with a Dillon 550 or 650 with all the bells and whistles. Why? It sucks spending over an hour just to make 100 rds, doing every process 100 times. Sorry if it seems like I'm whining, but I like to work smart, not hard and a using a progressive press is just that, smart.

And if any of you know my story, I screwed the pooch on my first go around using my single stage and had a few squibs. Who's fault was that? It was mine, not mechanical.

Please remember, this is only MY OPINION.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

I'm using a Dillon Square Deal. No bells and whistles on it. Once I get going I just put an empty case on stage 1 and place a bullet on stage 3 then pull the handle. I have a light that shines over stage 4 so I can visually inspect the powder charge each time I pull the handle. If the charge looks high or low at all I pull it off and weigh it on a digi. No matter what it weighs I never put it back. I dump the powder back in my powder measure. Then I skip loading the next empty and put the primed case I pulled back on stage 2 to get powder again.

It takes me about 10 minutes to switch over to a different caliber. I keep detailed notes on how many turns everything needs to move going from one caliber to another. I also have a lot of little colored marks on things that get adjusted referenced in my notes. Once I have changed out dies and set the powder measure and crimp per my notes I use an empty case to test the powder charge. I will measure at least 3 throws on both a manual balance and a digi to make sure it's right and the scales match. Then I seat a bullet in a deprimed case without powder and crimp it. I measure the OAL and the diameter of the case at the crimp with calipers and make fine adjustments if necessary. Then I load 100 primers in the tube and load ammo until empty.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Lee classic turret, and removed the autoindex feature. I used a uniflo and 505 for powder dispensing, but recently ordered the pact combo. I like the turret quick change feature on this press. Lee sometimes gets a bad rap, but I have had no problems.

I have really ramped up my shooting lately and am considering a dillon. I am about to move into a 12x12 building for loading. i will have to configure my setup again..from a workmate to a room. Woohoo
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

+1 to Col. Mike above. For all the same reasons. I also use the Lee Classic turret for handgun rounds. I also load in batch mode. I do not use the primer loading function. I prefer to sit at the kitchen counter, talk to the Mrs.... and hand press primers using the RCBS hand primer thang.

FIRST PRESS? RCBS single stage Rockchucker. Still use it for .223 and other rifle rounds.

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

I'm using what all my friends donated to me
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Xxxxx

Last edited by JimF4M1s; 05-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Still use my same ol rock chucker single stage. And mec Jr 600's for my 12&410
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Used a Lee turret for years (~20 yrs). Also use a Lee Hand Press (still do) for every caliber I load. Bought a Redding T7 turret as my main press, basically single load. Rarely use my Dillon 550 and only if I feel like mass loading 45acp, 10mm, 380 or 9mm. Most of time if I only load 50 or so, I still use the T7 for 45 acp, 9mm, 10mm or 380. Measure powder using RCBS combo unit. 454 Casull, 45 long colt, 38-40 and 44-40 on the T7.

All rifle (22 Hornet, 223, 7-08, 7mm, 284 Win, 308, 300WinMag, 300 WSM, 375H&H, 416 Rigby, 6.8 SPC, 270 Win) are on the T7.

I am not a volume shooter so I do not mind the time. I use the T7 in single stage, size all brass, then seat all the rounds. Prime using 3 RCBS hand loaders.

Might consider the 550 some day for 223 or 6.8 SPC as I do have 3 AR15 uppers in 6.8SPC and a 700 bolt action in 6.8. Have 2 223 uppers and may change one of those to a better barrel. Just like the assurance of measuring each load for most accurate rounds tho. Not a volume plinker with my AR15s, mostly load developement on the range for hunting use.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Ell, how many squibs would you have had with a progressive since you were just starting out and knew nothing about reloading?

My problem is that I really enjoy reloading, it's very satisfying to me to make 100 rounds that I know will have a Standard Deviation of maybe 6 if I get sloppy. Can't make 100 rounds on a progressive with less than double-digit SDs. Plus, it's kinda a Zen thing with me, I really feel relaxed after a few hours making ammo.

What do I use? Same thing I've always used, a Rock Chucker, RCBS dies, and a Pact Electronic Powder dispenser Combo( Well, I did use a RCBS 505 until I bought the Pact). I also have a RCBS powder-trickler but, since getting the Pact, I rarely need it. Slow? I can do 200 rounds in three hours when I want to. Same weight, same crimp and within +or- .001" OAL.

I load five different calibers, all on the same equipment; 38/357, 44Spl/44Mag, 45ACP, 45Colt, 30-06. The only time I reload is during the late fall, winter, early Spring or, if it's raining to hard to shoot. Usually, by the middle of March(When Chuck and I start shooting) I have three or four thousand rounds of just 45ACP loaded and ready to go.

I don't need or want a fancy, high-volume Progressive Reloader. Why be in such a rush? Isn't life rushed enough as it is? Besides, 98% of shooters don't shoot enough to justify one anyway.

Last edited by Dave Waits; 02-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.