COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts
Default Got a new reloading toy today

So my ultrasonic cleaner deal fell through, but while talking to one of the folks they told me about a guy who had a chrony for sale. I shot him an email and got the Chrony F1 the base model for $50. I figured for that price it was a good deal as long as it works. I know I didn't need it but think it will be fun to have it. Can't wait to fling some shots through it. I am sure I will hit it someday but for now....I will get a range report the same time I get to get a range report for my 10MM.....
Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Kewl beans. We don't NEED any of the toys we have. Well, I DO need my pistols. And my rifles and shotgun. And most of my knives. And my tools. And my truck. But that's all. My smokers..I need my smokers.

Mush on out there in that "snow" stuff and give us a report
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Kewl beans. We don't NEED any of the toys we have. Well, I DO need my pistols. And my rifles and shotgun. And most of my knives. And my tools. And my truck. But that's all. My smokers..I need my smokers.

Mush on out there in that "snow" stuff and give us a report
the snow is not the issue, its the 40mph winds and the negative wind chill. I need to get it done, I know.....its killing me.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
the snow is not the issue, its the 40mph winds and the negative wind chill. I need to get it done, I know.....its killing me.
I have to mow the lawn tomorrow. Try an indoor range.

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgment.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Uh...A chronograph is indespensible to any serious reloader. Velocity equals pressure, if you're seeing a lot more velocity( At least 50fps more) than the manual says you should at that charge-weight, you're at max pressure for YOUR gun. No two guns are the same, no two will show the same velocity or, even close to the same velocity with any given load.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
Uh...A chronograph is indespensible to any serious reloader. Velocity equals pressure, if you're seeing a lot more velocity( At least 50fps more) than the manual says you should at that charge-weight, you're at max pressure for YOUR gun. No two guns are the same, no two will show the same velocity or, even close to the same velocity with any given load.
I agree with Dave, a chrono is a really great tool to have and they are fun too, they give you an idea of consistency and allow you to collect interesting data that will help you develop your loads as well as determine power factor accurately and see what different velocities translate to grouping and pressures, I just have a cheap blue chrony but it does the job and was like $99... Worth every penny and I can use it easily due to its portability and versatility as a companion to all the data I gather, I'm kinda a spreadsheet junky :-)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneWeaponBK View Post
I agree with Dave, a chrono is a really great tool to have and they are fun too, they give you an idea of consistency and allow you to collect interesting data that will help you develop your loads as well as determine power factor accurately and see what different velocities translate to grouping and pressures, I just have a cheap blue chrony but it does the job and was like $99... Worth every penny and I can use it easily due to its portability and versatility as a companion to all the data I gather, I'm kinda a spreadsheet junky :-)
Yep, I can not wait to start tracking numbers myself...got the F1 Green the green one but got it used for $50. I had to buy one metal rod and a new battery, I have $60 in it. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I resurrected a chrono when I started loading 6.8 SPC last year. Most recipes have been 'home recipes' because most books only carried original 6.8 SPC loads and not the improved SPCII loads. Had one I used quite a bit in Australia in the 1990s and sat unused until last year.

Have an ultrasonic and jury still out. Have not noticed much improvement in brass cleaning over media tumbling. Just ordered a Thumbler for wet stainless media (3 weeks backorder)