COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Default CaChing!! Love new AR owners!

Ok... so I was at the indoor range yesterday afternoon. Nice... in and of itself... Me, a couple of revolvers.... and an hour or two to spare. Two bays down.... a shooter who is just banging out 5.56 from his brandy new Ruger SR556 Piston gun. Sooooo... me being me.... I strike up a conversation...

"Nice rifle... is that the Piston gun from Ruger?

YES... this is the first time I've had it on the range. I just bought it! But I ammo is so hard to find, and I have to use frangible ammo here at the inside range....

"Yup.... protects the steel backstops.... Hey... can I guess at what the gun cost you? I'd say.... somewhere between 1900 and 2200...."

No Sir.... It was $2700. (Yes, he said Two thousand Seven hundred from a private sale here in CT) FIRST CA CHING ! The gun lists for about 2000 from Ruger!

"Wow... you did well I guess!" (yup, I can be a bit smarmy and sarcastic all at the same time)

"Do you reload?"....

No... I'm just starting out.... I found this ammo on the web brand new... so I bought it.

"Mind if I take your empty brass? I reload". (once fired brass.... I can feel myself getting excited)

Sure... go ahead.... (Ca Ching! number Two. Has anyone tried to find 5.56 brass lately?)

250 rounds on the floor before he left... and it's all in my tumbler cleaning itself up rather nicely as I write!
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Good for you! he sure got taken on the gun price! and I'd bet he bought ammo at a ridiculous price too! The gun itself is a nice gun but not at that price.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

i sold my two ars yesterday one ar15 10 mags 590 rounds of ammo. my ar15 with 22lr upper and 3 mags for 2500.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Nice find...they are smart.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 AM
COTEP Member

Nice Mike!

I still have a couple thousand 5.56 brass, but no bullets.

I don't shoot the rifle all that much - just enough to maintain proficiency, so don't go through too much ammo.

I guess I have a few thousand rounds lying around. One day I'll do a bulk buy and set up for the next batch.

I'll never part with my post-ban Bushmaster. It's about as ban-proof as you're likely to get. I've got a collapsible stock on it, but that can go if need be. I still own a number of 10 round mags along with a closet full of GI and Magpuls.

I was going to have the barrel threaded for a can or a flash hider, but decided not to a few months ago when things started looking tenuous.

Like many, I'm just laying low and waiting to see what happens.

Tom
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've got 4 now in .22LR, .223, 300BLK and 6.8, I like them all esp. the SBR in 300 BLK. Plus my SCAR in.7.62/.308. I guess I don't need another but I do want a can for the short barrel, that's my next thing to purchase and one more scope or ACOG or something. Mags have been tough to find since the AWB crap.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
COTEP Member

One of the guys at work just bought a piston driven AR last week for 1200 plus tax. I forget the maker. Nobody I ever heard of. He got a carbine. Brand new shooter. Just joined the NRA for life. He even needed advice on cleaning supplies, etc. One more dedicated shooter. I'll have him loadin his own soon. !! HA. Mike
Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Mike, I thought things were getting better but I saw a Ruger AR go the other day for $2600 ... and a Stag Model 6 (heavy barrel) go to $2500. The world is clearly going to end. I am just finishing up my second AR build in the past few weeks cause I buy the parts right (when I can find them) and can ask crazy money for them.

Problem is ... I end up liking them and keeping them~~~~~~Dummy!

Addicted to Pulling the Trigger!

COTEP No. 0265
Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Padre, you are a man after my own heart!

I always do that at the range. I scope out my prey, casually walk up and strike a convo with them and within minutes, I'm scrounging their brass for my own goodness...

(evil laugh) Muwahahahahahahaha
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Buwwwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa.... Brass scroungers forever!
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.